As an employee of the Cosmos Club, you will be part of a very select group of individuals having the ability, character and knowledge to work for one of the world's most exclusive private clubs. The Club staff is comprised of approximately 150 employees who serve more than 3,000 members and their guests. Our commitment to our membership is equal to the commitment to our staff. Our pledge is to create a work environment that is warm, caring, and hospitable.
Classification: Hourly / Non-Exempt
Reports to: Executive Chef/Kitchen Management
The Cosmos Club, founded in 1878, is a private social club for men and women distinguished in science, literature and the arts or public service. Members come from virtually every profession that has anything to do with scholarship, creative genius or intellectual distinction.
Summary/Objective: The Cook is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef with all planning and prepping of all Club meals.
• Carefully follows standard recipes while preparing assigned items for food service
• Consistently uses safe and sanitary food handling practices
• Assists other cooks during emergencies or rush periods
• Inspect and clean food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to insure safe and sanitary food-handling practices
• Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock
• Assists in plating food items for service
• Handles leftover food items as instructed by the Executive Chef
• Cleans assigned work station areas
• Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils
• Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters
• Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Cosmos Club provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cosmos Club complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Cosmos Club expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Cosmos Club employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Inquiries can be addressed to Carolyn Rehman, Human Resources Coordinator
Required Education and Experience:
• Able to express creativity through food selections, preparation and presentation
• Able to solve problems quickly under pressure
• Degree from accredited culinary school and/or equivalent experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand for long periods of time, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
• Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull food trays, carts up to 40 lbs with or without reasonable accommodation
The club seeks qualified individuals to join our team of diverse professionals consistently creating memorable and unique member and guest experiences reflective of the social and intellectual atmosphere of the Cosmos Club and its refined setting. Cosmos Club is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions, including those related to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, and recognition of individuals on the basis of their ability and job related qualifications and without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, veteran status and any other classifications protected by law. The Club complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodation for disabled employees. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the interview process are requested to contact the Manager in order to arrange such accommodation.